Lewis System and Secretor Status
Program Date: 13 July 2023
Publication Date: 13 July 2023
Continuing Education Units: Hours: 0.5
Lecture Description:In this lecture, Dr Anani will introduce the Lewis antigens by describing their biosynthesis and expression in plasma and red blood. He also will discuss the serology and clinical significance of the Lewis systems.
• Review how secretor status changes antigen expression
• Discuss how Lewis is expressed in plasma and on red blood cells
• Describe the biosynthesis of Lewis
• Describe the differences between the Lewis antigens
• List conditions associated with Lewis
- Run Time: 33
Lecture Instructor Bio(s)
Waseem Anani, MD
Canadian Blood Services
Dr Waseem Anani is the Medical Director of ARUP Laboratories in Salt Lake City, Utah, USA and Associate Professor at the University of Utah. He is a Clinical Pathologist with subspecialty training in Transfusion Medicine. His area of interest and research is red cell immunohematology and genomics.
attended a lecture?
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS